How to Know Your Polling Unit From Your Voters Card
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has urged Nigerians to verify the locations of their respective polling units before the upcoming general election. During a meeting held with the national leaders of political parties in Abuja on Monday, INEC’s chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, revealed that feedback received from officials and accredited observers following a nationwide mock accreditation exercise using the BVAS had shown that some voters were unable to easily identify their polling units.
To this end, he advised voters to use a dedicated portal on the INEC website to know their polling unit.
To confirm the location of their polling unit via the INEC portal, voters should follow these steps:
- Log onto the INEC website cvr.inecnigeria.org/, which features a menu icon at the top right corner of the homepage.
- Click on the menu icon to reveal a drop-down list with three options, including Check Voters Status, Polling Unit Locator, and Help.
- Select check Voter Status, which leads to a form requiring the state of registration details, Local Government, Last and First name, and Date of Birth. Make sure the details you fill in are the same on your PVC.
- After supplying the details, click I’m not a robot and click on the green icon labelled “check status”.
- Finally, click on “Get directions”. This leads to Google maps which provides directions to the polling unit’s location.
However, INEC advises voters to physically visit their polling unit before the election day, as the directions provided via the map are only “approximate”.